The Nigeria Mission in South Africa on Sunday confirmed the killing of Mr. Ozumba Tochukwu-Lawrence by an unknown gunman in the country. The Nigeria Consulate-General in South Africa said that the incident was said to have occurred at 10 Koppe, Middleburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa, on July 6. The mission said that Lawrence was shot six times by his assailant and he died before reaching hospital.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, expressed worry over the killing of the Nigerian in South Africa. Dabiri-Erewa expressed disappointment over an early warning signal put in place by both ministries, which she said had still not been implemented.
She stated that no fewer than 117 Nigerians were extra-judicially killed in South Africa between 2016 and 2018 for one flimsy reason or the other. She said that many more had followed since then.