Open Heavens Daily Devotional – Divinely Satisfied? (Friday 18th January 2019)
Memorize: “And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.” – 1 Timothy 6:8
Read: 1 Timothy 6:6-10 (KJV)
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
Contrary to common belief, satisfaction in life is not a matter of how much you have. Our Lord Jesus Christ said in Luke 12:15:
“…Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.”
In other words, abundant possessions do not guarantee joy, peace and fulfilment in life. The Lord is asking you today, “Are you divinely satisfied? What is your satisfaction in life dependent on?” The reason why a lot of people are never satisfied in life is due to the lack of contentment. In today’s memory verse, the Holy Spirit instructs us to be content with having food and clothing. This is a command and not a piece of advice. To measure up to this heavenly standard, we must endeavour to discover what true blessing is and the source of it. Concerning true blessing, Proverbs 10:22 says:
“The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.”
True blessings from the Lord have three characteristics: they bring riches in all ramifications, they are devoid of sorrow and are accompanied with contentment.
Irrespective of what a man has, if he is not content, he will restlessly pursue satisfaction throughout his life time. The Almighty God, in whose image we were created, is a great example to us on contentment. Genesis 1:31-2:22 says:
“And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.”
From the scripture above, we learn that God saw everything that He had made as being very good. In other words, God was content with what He had achieved in six days. This divine satisfaction made Him take a rest on the seventh day! We know that God continued His work after He rested on the seventh day because Jesus Christ said in John 5:17b:
“My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.”
The secret behind God resting on the seventh day even though He still had more work to do is not far-fetched: God was content with His achievements. This is why the Bible says in 1 Timothy 6:6:
“But godliness with contentment is great gain.”
This verse shows that one may be godly but not have contentment. Beloved, when we become obsessed with work because we want to acquire more wealth to the detriment of our worship of God and even to the point of harming our body system, then we have fallen into the snare of the devil described in 1 Timothy 6:9. Are you divinely satisfied?
Father, please grant me the grace to live a life of godliness with contentment.
Bible in One Year
Sing Hymn 7
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
THE REDEEMED CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GOD
DIRECTORATE OF PRAYER
2019 FORTY NINE DAYS FASTING & PRAYER GUIDE
DAY 8: PRAYER OF DEDICATION AND COMMITMENT
1. Intense praise and worship
2. Ask God for mercies for past acts of non commitment
3. Pray that you will be more available for God use this year. 2 Tim 2:21
4. Pray that our Churches at home and abroad will be more committed to the courses of mission outreaches. 2 Cor. 6:1
5. Pray that they will be more passionately involved in missions, evangelism, Church planting and discipleship this year. Matt 28: 19
6. Pray that they will do this by the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Lk.24:49; Acts1:8;
7. Ask the Lord to send more (Labourers) missionaries to un-reached people groups. Matt 9:37-38, Mk.16:15.
8. Pray that the Church will have willingness and passion to commit more resources to missions, support and empowering of missionaries.
9. Pray that the end time spirit of lukewarmness will lose its hold over the life of brethren in the Church of God. 2 Tim 3:4
10. Pray that your love for God and the things of His house shall not wax cold. 2 Tim 3:2